There’s nothing better than playing a round of golf with your friends on a hot summer’s day.
That being said, renting clubs can become expensive and don’t allow you to practice your game wherever you are.
To get the most out of your time on the course, you’ll need your own set of golf clubs, with a range of irons, wedges, and woods to match your technique and level of experience.
Keep reading to find out more.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Strata Golf Men’s Complete Set is designed for maximum performance right out of the box!
The lightweight 460cc forged driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons, and putter make up a set that provides a great combination of distance, forgiveness, and control, and makes putting easier.
The set includes: Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6 - 9 Iron, PW, Putter, Stand Bag, and 2 Head covers for all of your golfing needs as you become better at golf.
- Easy to use - This golf club set is perfect for beginner golfers just starting out
- Stand bag - This golf set comes with a lightweight and durable stand bag that comes with five convenient pockets, an additional cooler pocket, a rain hood, and a backpack strap system to make carrying your clubs around easier.
- Great value - As a beginner to golf, this provides you with all that you need for an excellent price.
- A few customers claimed that these golf clubs were too short for them to use properly.
The Aspire XD1 Ladies Womens Complete Right Handed Golf Clubs Set is specifically designed for petite women.
The petite set includes 460cc driver, 3 wood, 21 Hybrid, no. 6 thru PW irons, putter, deluxe stand bag, 3 matching head covers.
This golf club set comes with a handy stand bag, meaning that your clubs are always in one place and making it easier for you to carry them around the course with you!
- 30 years of experience - Relax knowing that you’re in good hands investing in these durable, good quality golf clubs and have customer service on hand should you have a problem.
- Easy to use - This lightweight set of golf clubs are lightweight and easy to use, perfect for any beginner!
- Designed for petite women - The recommended sizes for these clubs are 5'0"-5'5", providing the perfect fit for petite women.
- One customer noted that these clubs are aimed towards beginners, and not more advanced golfers.
The PreciseGolf Co. 18 Piece Men’s Complete Golf Club Package Set is designed for increased performance.
This set is packed with the latest and most modernized golf technology to give you ultimate distance and performance for every club in the bag!
This set comes in a handy stand bag for your convenience, in either blue or red to choose from.
- Made with the highest quality materials - These clubs will not only improve your score, but will also look sleek whilst you are playing, too!
- Forgiving #3 & #5 fairway woods - Built for long, high-flying shots where you need a bit more support.
- Non-slip dual-compound grips - These golf clubs feature mid-size dual-compound grips for extra comfort throughout your whole game.
- One customer claimed that they didn’t like the bag that comes with these particular golf clubs.
Wilson Women’s Complete Golf Set is designed specifically for women players with lightweight graphite shafts (except putter) and soft, all-weather grips.
The high-lofted driver has a large sweet spot and is swing speed matched to improve ball flight for greater distance.
This golf set features deep, perimeter weighted 431 stainless steel irons with a very low center of gravity to help you improve accuracy.
- Cart bag - The lightweight, premium cart bag features a double padded shoulder strap, a rugged handle top, a fleece-lined valuables pocket, and three roomy pockets for any other possessions you may have.
- Versatile - These golf clubs are great for beginners and intermediate golfers.
- Great value - These durable, high-quality golf clubs provide all that you need to get started and improve your game!
- A couple of customers noted that these particular golf clubs were too long for them.
The Wilson Men’s and Teen Complete Golf Set includes premium components, advanced materials, and the latest technologies to aid your golfing experience!
This golf club set features deep, undercut stainless steel cavity-back irons that are precision engineered for longer, straighter shots.
The 460cc driver features an aerodynamic design to improve head speed and deliver greater distance.
- Premium carry bag - Keep all of your clubs in one place with the lightweight, premium carry bag that features adjustable shoulder straps, a rugged handle top, numerous pockets, and a self-activating stand for your convenience.
- Versatile - This golf club set is great for beginners and more advanced golfers alike!
- Variety of colors - Perfectly match your golf set bag to your personality with the multiple colors to choose from!
- One customer noted that these particular golf clubs took longer than they were expecting to arrive.
Best Golf Clubs Buying Guide
There are a few factors to take into consideration when purchasing golf clubs, but it primarily comes down to skill level and type of golf clubs, durability, and the type of golf clubs that you opt for.
It is important to note that you will want to aim to get golf clubs that are suitable for your skill level, especially as a beginner, as you could find learning how to play golf significantly harder if you don’t.
Failure to get the right kind of clubs for your skill level could mean putting yourself off golf for life.
After all, you can’t run before you can walk, and no one wants to give up their newfound hobby after investing in a set of clubs!
Read the factors below before going ahead with your purchase.
Type of Golf Clubs
It’s important to familiarize yourself with the type of golf clubs and what they’re best used for.
- Driver - Drivers have larger club heads, providing them with a larger sweet spot to make contact with the golf ball and are used to hit the golf ball further distances.
- Irons - Irons are designed to hit the golf ball with a high trajectory so it lands on the green at a downward angle which keeps the ball from rolling.
- Fairway woods - Fairway woods are designed to help you cover the distance gaps. Beginners tend to perform better with fairway woods as opposed to their driver. That being said, it isn’t uncommon to carry a 3 wood with you for tee shots in addition to using it for fairway shots, too.
- Hybrids - Hybrid clubs are commonly used to bridge the gap between your woods and your shorter irons if you struggle to hit longer irons.
- Wedges - Wedges are designed to help you improve your scoring as you get close to the green. They are created with a higher loft that produces accuracy and higher spin to allow you more control over the golf ball’s distance.
- Putters - Last, but by no means least, putters are designed to help you put the ball into the hole!
As a beginner, you will want to look for a good mix of clubs to get the hang of things.
One of the most important factors to take into account when buying golf clubs is skill level. The more skilled you are, the less help you need from your equipment.
For instance, if you’re a beginner, you’d benefit from buying a beginner set of golf clubs rather than a more advanced set that is less forgiving and provides you with less support.
If you invest in a golf club set that is too advanced for your skill level, you will struggle to learn efficiently and could even end up putting yourself off the sport.
This would render investing in your own golf clubs completely pointless, so it is always important to check the skill level before going ahead with your purchase.
Something important that you’ll need to consider when buying a set of golf clubs is durability. Buying a new product from a new company can be nerve-wracking, especially if you’ve never heard of them before.
Although it’s always good to look for a brand with a reputable reputation, a good indication of whether the clubs you’re looking at are durable is to check the product reviews section.
In this section, customers can leave feedback, good or bad about the particular set of golf clubs that you’re considering buying and in turn, give you a better idea of the product and whether you want to invest in it.
Alongside this, the product reviews section can also give you a better understanding of a company’s customer service.
If a customer has had a bad customer service experience with a brand that you’re looking at, it’s likely that they’ll express their frustrations in the reviews section.
This is incredibly useful, as although issues arise and occur that are outside of a company’s control, how they work to fix that issue for a customer speaks volumes about a brand.
In the same breath, then, if a customer cannot get hold of the customer service department, you might decide that you’re better off investing in another company.
I recommend always doing your research and making sure that you are satisfied with the customer reviews before going ahead with your purchase.
Something you’ll need to take into account when purchasing golf clubs is the grip. In order to hold onto a golf club, there is an eight-inch rubber grip that is attached to the steel or graphite shaft of each of the golf clubs in your set.
The grip’s purpose is to provide your hands with something to hold onto and makes it far easier to make shots as the club doesn’t slip out of or adjust in your hands as you are swinging at fast speeds.
When looking for your new golf clubs, you will come across different sizes, too, which are standard, midsize, and oversize.
Typically speaking, if you have bigger hands then it is likely that you will benefit more from a thicker grip.
Grips also come in many textures, colors, and designs, allowing you to customize your golf clubs exactly how you would like.
Although this is isn’t essential to your play, you can always begin with the standard grips that come on your golf club set and if they don’t feel comfortable or you’d simply prefer a different color, you can always switch them out by buying custom grips.
When purchasing new golf clubs, you will also need to think about the shaft. The shaft is the ‘pole’ that connects to the golf club head.
Club shafts are typically made of stainless steel, graphite, and different metals depending on the type of golf club in question.
For instance, most driver shafts are made with graphite material that is lighter in weight to help you swing the club faster and hit the ball further.
Another component of shafts is the flex. When you are playing golf and swing your club at a faster speed, the shaft flexes from the wind resistance.
This also occurs when the golf club head makes contact with the golf ball, inducing a whipping effect to generate speed into the ball.
Your swing speed will usually determine the level of flex stiffness needed which can vary from L for ladies, A for amateur/senior, R for regular, S for stiff, and X for extra stiff.
Typically speaking, regular flex is the most common choice. That being said, beginners, women, and senior golfers with slower swing speeds may benefit more from L or A flex shafts, but it will depend on you as the individual!
Best Golf Clubs - FAQ's
What are the 4 types of golf clubs?
There are a variety of golf clubs that may be used for different kinds of shots. These clubs are classified into four main categories - woods, irons, wedges, and putters.
These different types of clubs cater to a whole range of distances and trajectories when you’re playing golf, which is why people invest in golf sets as opposed to one or two clubs.
What should you look for in a beginner set of golf clubs?
Golf club sets are composed of 14 clubs which is the maximum legal amount allowed.
That being said, in a beginner golf club set you should look for a good variation of drivers, woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, and a putter, whilst you are still learning.
Generally speaking, the more experienced you become as a golfer, the less support that you’ll need from your equipment.
Bearing this in mind, if you charge straight into the sport without taking the steps to learn with a beginner set, you could risk putting yourself off before you’ve even got started!
Most importantly, you want the golf clubs to cover your distance gaps. Beginners should also look for drivers with more forgiveness and higher loft angles to help them hit the golf ball higher and farther as well as straighter.
In short, a beginner set of golf clubs are more forgiving and will provide you with the help that you need when you are first starting out.
Bearing that in mind, then, once you are comfortable playing golf and have made good use of your beginner set of golf clubs, you can look at investing in a set of more advanced golf clubs.
Always make sure that your golf clubs are suitable for your skill level as a beginner.